Water, Wastewater, Industrial Pre-Treatment
NICHOLAS D. HENSLEE
5408 West Chisum Trail
Phoenix, AZ, 85083
** Nine years' experience in Water, Waste Water, and Solid Waste Treatments.
** Demonstrated expertise in operations, mechanical maintenance, and low-voltage electrical.
** Conduct extensive testing: chemical, biological, microbiological, and mechanical to control bacteria.
** Experience establishing and managing full-scale EHS operations.
** Well versed in drafting and implementing SOPs and processes. Strictly comply with city, state, and federal regulations in highly regulated, regimented environment, including OSHA, EPA, ADEQ, DOT, and DHS.
Company loyal, safety conscious, waste-water certified professional, with proven experience in treating and discharge of municipal waste water system. Strong mechanical aptitude to repair all types of equipment in any industrial application, troubleshoot waste water equipment, and develop / execute preventive maintenance programs. Experience with activated sludge and nitrification process. Known for building unity and cooperation across organizational levels. Well-developed organization skills to maximize efficiency. Speak basic Spanish.
Waste Water Treatment Operations
Process Control & Improvements
Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
** Extensive training in electrical / mechanical / chemical, and HAZ-MAT safety and industrial hygiene.
Forklift and Heavy Equipment
Grade 4 Certified Waste Water Treatment
Grade 2 Certified Water Treatment
Undergraduate courses, Rio Salado, Phoenix, AZ
-- ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH & SAFETY (EHS) COORDINATOR / WASTE WATER OPERATOR
CHROMALLOY, (aerospace FAA approved parts repair station), Phoenix, AZ, 2011-PRESENT
Assumed expanded duties to manage entire EHS program and analyze impact of plant activities. Retained leadership of waste water system that produces highly hazardous waste. Major focus on safety, air and water quality, and hazardous waste. HAZ-MAT Coordinator and Industrial Pretreatment Specialist. Manage budget up to $1.5M. Maintain NPDES, SPC, and SWM permits. Lead teams to execute initiatives.
SAFETY / HAZARDOUS WASTE
* Positioned plant as the safest out of 20 facilities; reduced injuries from 4.5 to 1.1 (per 100 employees).
* Saved company $250,000 through minimal injuries and correcting / modifying chemical processes / purchases.
* Manage EHS, from personal protective equipment to plant EHS training (200 employees).
* Identified and corrected several inherited non-compliance issues, receiving no citations / fines. Ensure continued compliance with all industry regulations.
* Respond to chemical spills immediately, ensuring quick clean-up to avoid negative impact.
* Administer industrial hygiene program.
* Participated in audit preparation conducted by the Department of Homeland Security.
* Led pilot site for new electronic tracking system, communicating issues prior to full rollout.
AIR & WATER QUALITY
* Handle all aspects of environmental impact for waste, emissions, and HAZ-MAT.
* Streamlined, repaired, troubleshot, and maintained compliance of scrubbers.
* 100% compliance on air quality, streamlining monitoring systems and redesigning scrubber systems.
* Earned award for achieving 100% compliance on water quality for 2 consecutive years and reduced risk by one category level for water quality monitoring.
CITY OF PHOENIX - Phoenix, AZ, 2006-Present
-- OPERATIONS & MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN SPECIALIST, 2008 -Present
-- OPERATIONS & MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN, 2006-2008
Continually advanced, earning specialist status by successfully completing 3 progressive rotations / skill blocks for each of the following: operations (plant operations and chemical / biological tests), maintenance (maintaining and repairing equipment), and low voltage electrical (instrumentation and gauges).
Ensured safe operation of large-scale 300 MGD treatment plant, providing advanced operational, maintenance, and electrical technical support. Oversaw employees, scheduling, and training. Troubleshot projects / issues. Wrote reports, SOPs and manuals. Inspected equipment, diagnosed operational issues, and proposed changes. Conducted tests, analyzed results, and made adjustments. Completed documentation and reviewed test devices.
* Provided advanced-level maintenance while complying with EPA regulations, performing pump / motor overhauls and troubleshooting complex equipment.
* Installed, calibrated, maintained, and analyzed electronic instrumentation and measuring devices. Analyze malfunctions of computerized computer devices and control and instrument loops. Respond to emergency call outs and troubleshoot problems for plant integrity.
* Consistently received strong performance reviews acknowledging well-developed skills in training, quick mastery of technical processes, and strong work ethic.
* Served as highly effective union steward, building cooperative relations with management that overcame long-standing gridlock that benefitted both employees and management.
* Saved hundreds of thousands of dollars through greater mechanical / electrical efficiency.
* Successfully supervised startup of newly built pump station as part of the $150 million Tres Rios project, one of the City's largest capital improvement projects--now used as a model around the world.
- Managed extensive project coordination, collaborating effectively with the City, engineers, and contractors as well as an outside team working on adjacent wetlands project.
- Supervised operations and team of 7 and wrote operating, training, and maintenance procedures.
- Oversaw testing and prepared implication report to assess impact on existing processes and systems and avoid disruption to existing plant operation.
- Identified potential project challenges / solutions to avoid issues, including non-compliance EPA.
DEPARTMENT MANAGER - BUILDING MATERIAL AND LUMBER, Home Depot, Phoenix, AZ, 2005-2006; Progressed to manager in 4 months, grew revenues by $3 million in 1 year. Managed team of 11 and inventory.
PETROLEUM SUPPLY SPECIALIST, U.S. Army - 2001-2005; Managed 10 soldiers in Afghanistan and in Iraq, remaining focused in high-stress environments. Operated heavy equipment, drove fuel tankers, worked with hazardous materials, and ensured adherence to EPA, OSHA, and organizational regulations.
Computer Proficiency in MS Office (Excel and Word); SCADA and CMMS system